I don’t mind doing a bit of dressmaking now and again. I find it a fun challenge and means I learn new techniques because frankly, I ran out of knitting techniques to learn and then seemed to struggle with what to knit.
When I knew my cousin Kate was getting married we started chatting about the main things (her dress, obviously) and she said she needed to keep the budget down if possible because of the cost of them travelling home from New Zealand to marry (serves you right for emigrating!!)
And so I find myself making a wedding dress.
We did some drawing from different designs she liked, and finally created a design that Kate loved. I’ve never done pattern drafting before, but thought I’d give it a go anyway. And I managed to get a really nice shape to the bodice, and some nice darts. But it just wasn’t sitting right at the back and I was being a bit too over-cautious and ended up making my sort-of-toile waaaay too big. I found myself getting really wound up that no matter how much I moved it around it just wouldn’t sit right. So I finally caved and after a bit of searching, found an appropriate pattern.
I was a little concerned that it was possibly going to be a little less modest than we’d originally planned for. I had ideas for lengthening the body but decided that really the best thing to do was make it up and see how it was. Luckily I have a ‘wench’who is almost exactly Kate’s measurements so I could get a good idea of fit from that.
Early evening yesterday I borrowed my inlaws’ spacious flooring and cut the fabric and pinned it all together. I’m not usually very good at curves but this went together like a dream! And even though it’s only pinned, I’m impressed with how good it looks!!!
We just won’t mention the slightly more difficult bits to come….
You must log in to post a comment.